If you're worried about making the change to Universal Credit you can:
- use one of the video tools below
- speak to a specialist money advisor for free on 0300 500 5000 (Money Advice Service)
- visit the Universal Credit website
- Getting ready for Universal Credit
- Paying your rent
- How to choose a bank account
- How to open a bank account
- How to make payments using your bank account
- How to use your bank account to make budgeting easier
Things you'll need to think about
Paying your rent
You'll need to find out how to pay your rent before you receive your first Universal Credit payment.
You'll need to find out things like:
- who your landlord is
- how to pay them
- how much rent you need to pay
- what date you need to pay your rent every month
You might want to think about setting up a Direct Debit or standing order from your bank account. Speak to your landlord / housing association to find out more about what you need to do.
Opening a bank or Credit Union account
You'll need a bank, building society or Credit Union account before you can apply for Universal Credit. There are lots of options available to you, even if you have a poor credit history. To find out more about opening the right account for you, call or visit your nearest bank, building society or Credit Union.
Making your money last a whole month can be difficult, especially if you're not used to it. Under Universal Credit you'll need to make your money last until you receive your next benefit payment. You'll also need to make sure you don't miss any important payments such as rent or bills in this period.