Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Hate incidents and crimes

All hate crimes and incidents should be reported to the police.

Hate incidents

A hate incident is defined as 'any incident which may or may not constitute a criminal offence that is perceived by the victim, or any other person, as being motivated by prejudice or hate' (Association of Chief Police Officers).

There are routes which can be followed to ensure that a hate incident is recorded and properly investigated.

By reporting hate incidents, you'll enable the police, local councils, and housing associations to build up details of local behaviour patterns, and highlight areas of concern within your community. The information will be used to undertake targeted multi-agency work to reduce the risk of hate crime and address the causes.

Hate crimes

By reporting hate crime you can get the support you need, and help to ensure that offenders are brought to justice and can't do the same to other people.

In an emergency you should:

  • Call 999 or 112
  • If you can't make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you'll only be able to use this service if you've registered with emergencySMS first.

You can report hate crimes to the police in a number of ways. You could call the non-emergency number (101), visit a police station or report it online.

If you don’t want to speak directly to the police, you can report a hate crime at a third party reporting centre. They can provide you with support and can forward details of the incident to the police. The report doesn't have to include your contact details if you don’t want the police to investigate, but it can help to alert the police to areas where hate crime is a particular problem.

View a list of third party reporting centres in the Tees Valley.