Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Duty to refer

As of October 2018, certain public authorities must notify a local housing authority in England where one of its service users:

  • may be homeless or at risk of homelessness, and
  • consents to the referral

The following are public authorities with a duty to refer:

  • youth offender institutions and youth offending teams
  • prisons (public and contracted out)
  • secure training centres (public and contracted out) and colleges
  • probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
  • urgent treatment centres, and hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
  • social service authorities.

For more information, read the North East Local Housing Authorities procedure.

To make a referral to us please see below:

Online: Please complete all sections of the Duty to Refer North East Housing Referral Form.


Telephone: 0300 111 1000

Please note that if the referral is urgent and/or the service user has no accommodation tonight, you may wish to make contact by telephone to the relevant authority.