As of October 2018, certain public authorities must notify a local housing authority in England where one of its service users:
- may be homeless or at risk of homelessness, and
- consents to the referral
The following are public authorities with a duty to refer:
- youth offender institutions and youth offending teams
- prisons (public and contracted out)
- secure training centres (public and contracted out) and colleges
- probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
- Jobcentre Plus
- accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
- urgent treatment centres, and hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
- social service authorities.
For more information, read the North East Local Housing Authorities procedure.
To make a referral to us please see below:
Online: Please complete all sections of the Duty to Refer North East Housing Referral Form.
Telephone: 0300 111 1000
Please note that if the referral is urgent and/or the service user has no accommodation tonight, you may wish to make contact by telephone to the relevant authority.