The purpose of PROTECT work is to keep the public safe by strengthening our protection against a terrorist attack in the UK or against our interests overseas, and so reduce our vulnerability. The principal responsibility of embedding PROTECT lies with the National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO), but all communities, businesses, and public sector organisations should be like-minded in considering PROTECT as part of their operations to keep people safe.
The aim of the PROTECT arm of the CONTEST strategy is to:
- have an effective multi-layered defence to protect against an attack
- reduce illicit access to the material needed for an attack, including increasing the timeliness of suspicious transaction reports
- protect the public spaces, transport and infrastructure in the UK which are most at risk of attack
- make full use of our powers and capabilities at the border
Many businesses, public sector services, third sector groups, and organisations have already considered PROTECT elements in ensuring that crowded spaces are protected from the threat of terrorism, or in developing dynamic lockdown processes.
This page and subsequent pages are designed as a signpost to initial resources from both the National Counter Terrorism Security Office and the Centre for Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI).
Pages in this section
- Stay safe video (Run, Hide, Tell)
- Act for Youth video (including BSL and subtitled versions)
- resources for security managers and building managers
- staff awareness products for training and development
- Action Counters Terrorism (ACT) eLearning Protect resource
- Crowded spaces guidance (PDF)
- Security bulletin from Tell Mama (safety tips for Muslims and Islamic institutions) (PDF)
- Simple tips for ensuring your safety at a mosque (PDF)