Report it

Commercial or home boarding kennels or cattery licence

Registration of a commercial or home boarding kennels or cattery

If you wish to run a commercial kennels or cattery, home boarding or a dog crèche/day care for profit, you'll need an annual licence from Middlesbrough Council.

Read more about the relevant legislation.
How to apply

Apply to run an animal boarding establishment

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances

Renew your licence to run an animal boarding licence

What happens next?

After receiving your completed application and fee, an officer will contact you to arrange an inspection of your premises to ensure that they meet the licence conditions. For new commercial kennels and catteries the initial inspection will be carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon, the cost of which will be payable by the applicant in addition to the licence fee.

You won't be able to start running your business until your licence has been granted.

Redress information

In case of dispute or to appeal a decision, please contact Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Protection Team on 01642 726001.

Customer complaint

If you're a customer of a licensed/registered premises and wish to complain about the service or products sold, we would advise you to contact the trader in the first instance to resolve the matter. If the matter cannot be resolved please contact the Environmental Protection Team on 01642 726001.

Trade Associations

Pet Industry Federation


Standard boarding conditions

Boarding conditions - cats

Boarding conditions - dogs