Report it

Riding establishment licence

Registration of a riding establishment

To run a riding establishment (where horses, ponies or donkeys are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) you need a licence from Middlesbrough Council.

Applicants must be over 18 and not have been disqualified from:

  • keeping a riding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop
  • having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • keeping a boarding establishment for animals under the Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals, or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals (under the Animal Welfare Act 2006)
  • owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

Read the standard licence conditions.

Read more about the relevant legislation.

How to apply

You can apply for registration by downloading the riding establishment licence application form and returning it to Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Protection Team.

What happens next?

After receiving your completed application and fee, an officer will contact you to arrange an inspection of your premises to ensure that they meet the licence conditions.

You won't be able to operate your business until your licence has been granted.

Redress information

In case of dispute or to appeal a decision, please contact Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Protection Team on 01642 726001.

Customer complaint

If you're a customer of a licensed/registered premises and wish to complain about the service or products sold, we would advise you to contact the trader in the first instance to resolve the matter. If the matter cannot be resolved please contact Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Protection Team on 01642 726001.

Trade Associations

Association of British Riding Schools

British Dressage

British Equestrian Federation

British Equestrian Trade Association