A timeline of how Middlesbrough Council developed, from the first days of the town until the present day.
The first house was built in the modern town of Middlesbrough.
The townspeople decided they needed to organise the way the town was run, so they elected a group of 12 Improvement Commissioners. Those people, who were appointed on 21 June 1841, were responsible citizens who were asked to look after sweeping streets, paving, law and order, providing a market, and otherwise improving the town of Middlesbrough.
Middlesbrough was granted a Charter of Incorporation by Queen Victoria on 1 January 1853. This meant that the townspeople elected a town council for the first time. The voting took place alongside the Old Town Hall, which the Improvement Commissioners had built in 1846 to hold their meetings.
The first Town Council consisted of 4 Aldermen, and 12 Councillors.
A Mayor was elected, along with 6 Aldermen, and 18 Councillors.
Changes were made to the town’s boundaries, meaning the council then consisted of a Mayor, 8 Aldermen, and 24 Councillors.
The town's boundary was enlarged again, as was the council, which then consisted of a Mayor, 10 Aldermen, and 30 Councillors.
The town became what was known as a County Borough (a town independent of county council control).
The new Town Hall was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales, who were later to become King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
Ormesby, parts of Linthorpe, Acklam, and the whole of North Ormesby became part of Middlesbrough. The number of Aldermen was increased from 10 to 11, and the number of Councillors from 30 to 33.
The number of wards changed to 17. The number of Aldermen rose from 11 to 17, and the number of Councillors increased from 33 to 51.
The town was divided into 25 wards, or electoral areas, which were represented by 53 Councillors. 22 wards had 2 Councillors, and three wards had 3 Councillors. Those numbers were based the population of the wards.
The role of directly elected Mayor was introduced after a local referendum.
Following a review by the Local Government Boundary Commission, the town was divided into 23 wards, which were represented by 48 Councillors.
Due to changes in population, the Local Government Boundary Commission carried out another review. The number of wards was reduced to 20 and the number of Councillors was further reduced to 46.