Social Care and Support Icon

Residential care and nursing homes

If it becomes difficult to stay living independently at home because of ill health or other conditions, it may be worth considering a care home.

Care homes provide food, accommodation and personal care, and you would usually have your own bedroom with en-suite bathroom and toilet.

Homes are registered according to the needs of the people using them for example, nursing care, dementia care, personal care, mental health support, or learning disability support.  Some care homes offer short-term places, for example for people recovering from a hospital stay or for respite care.

The homes are run by a variety of organisations, including private firms, voluntary sector organisations and local councils. They are regulated in England by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC will visit the home and write a report which will be published on its website. The CQC awards stars with three stars being the highest, for 'outstanding', two stars is 'good', one star is 'adequate' and no stars is 'poor'.

Looking for a residential or nursing home place

You can read our care homes for older people brochure for details on all the care homes in Middlesbrough. (This document is in the process of being updated.)

You can approach a home directly to organise your own care. All the homes listed in the brochure are in Middlesbrough. Your care is a private arrangement between you and the home.

There is usually a six-week trial period to make sure the care home right place to best meet your needs.

Please note that the information about these organisations is provided for your convenience; their inclusion does not imply the council's endorsement of them. The council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information, or for the actions of these organisations.


If you feel you need financial support from the council to pay for your residential care, we will carry out an assessment to work out what type of care you need. We will also ask about your finances, because the amount of financial help we can give you depends on your circumstances. Read more about paying for residential and nursing care.

More information and advice

For more information about care homes, the assessment process and how to choose a home, please contact:

Social Services
Phone: 01642 726004