Benefits and Council Tax Icon

Information for Landlords

How to contact us

Do you need to tell us something relating to your tenant?

Have we asked you to provide some supporting evidence?

Would you like to ask us a question?

Use our online contact form.


View information regarding payments due to you in respect of your tenant via the landlord portal.

View the Latest Landlord Newsletter

If you need any assistance while using the Landlord Portal, please email your query to   

If you receive direct payments in respect of tenants' Housing Benefit and would like access to the Middlesbrough Landlord Portal, please contact


Tenants also have access to Middlesbrough Council's online services.

Make a claim - You can help your tenant to make a new claim for Housing Benefit. You can also help your tenant to upload a copy of their tenancy agreement.

Change of address - You can help your tenant to report a change of address.

When can Housing Benefit be paid to a landlord?

If we consider a tenant to be vulnerable or unlikely to pay their rent, we may decide to make Housing Benefit payments directly to a landlord. However, this will only happen for a short period of time until the tenant is able to manage their own finances. This is known as the Safeguard Policy.

If you think your tenant is vulnerable or unlikely to pay their rent please use the online form to give us further information about your tenant.

Tenants in arrears

There are a range of safeguards in place to protect the interests of landlords and their agents under the Housing Benefit scheme. We must make payment directly to the landlord or their agent where a tenant is eight weeks or more in arrears with their rent, and it is in the interest of the claimant (tenant) for us to do so.

Upload proof of your tenant’s rent arrears.


Recovery of an overpayment of Housing Benefit from a landlord may be necessary if we believe that the landlord or their agent should have been aware of the circumstances which led to the overpayment.

If you don't agree with our decision to ask you to repay an overpayment, you can ask us to look at our decision again. Details will be provided on the overpayment notification letter sent to you. It's important that you do this within one calendar month of the date of the notification if you don't agree with our decision.

Please complete the online appeal form to ask for a review of our decision.

Useful forms for landlords

Landlord Housing Benefit questionnaire

You must complete this questionnaire when you let your property to a member of your family or a friend, or if your tenant lives with you. Please answer all questions relevant to you on the form. If we receive an incomplete form or have insufficient information, this may cause a delay in working out your tenant's benefit entitlement.

Complete the landlord Housing Benefit questionnaire online.

New landlord declaration form

If you haven’t already received direct payments from any tenant who lives in the Middlesbrough area, we may need to arrange to set you up on our system to receive direct housing benefit payments for any tenant who makes a new claim or falls into arrears. We will need to gather relevant information from you and a declaration must be signed.  Please download the attached form complete and remember to sign it.

Before Housing Benefit can be paid we'll need to see proof of ownership for the property you are renting out. Please remember to attach a copy of this when you return your declaration. Acceptable proof of ownership is a Land Registry document, or a completion statement or solicitor's letter from the time of purchase.

Download the new landlord declaration form.

Once the above declaration form is signed and completed you can send the form along with any evidence via the online upload form.

Sharing information

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, we only share information with private landlords regarding a housing benefit claim if we have permission from the claimant. There is a declaration on our claim forms which must be completed by the claimant in order for us to share information with a landlord or third party.

Sharing information can help us deal with a claim more quickly and reduce the chance of rent arrears. We may contact you and ask for information regarding a tenancy to help us make a decision on a claim for benefit.

We don't share information about personal or financial circumstances with landlords.