Home chevron_right Benefits and support chevron_right Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction chevron_right Make a claim chevron_right Making your claim

Making your claim

Providing evidence to support your claim is as important as submitting the claim itself. Without your evidence, your claim will not be valid and you will not get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

Making a claim

You'll need the following information available when you make a new claim:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the rent charge as shown on your tenancy agreement
  • details of all income and savings for you and your partner (if applicable)
  • details of all income for anyone else who lives with you (who you don't receive Child Benefit for)
  • the annual amount of Council Tax you have to pay (if known)

If somebody gets Carer's Allowance for looking after you, you must include this on your claim form. It may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. If you do not tell us and your benefit is overpaid as a result, we'll have to recover it from you.


To protect your security, the claims system will time out if it's inactive for more than 60 minutes.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction are normally paid from the Monday following the date you submit your claim online.