23 June is the last day to apply for a bigger bin for guaranteed delivery before fortnightly collections start. Apply for a bigger bin now

Home chevron_right Benefits and support chevron_right Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction chevron_right ID requirements

ID requirements

On completing a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you and any partner living in your household will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of your identity, and any partner's identity
  • Proof of your National Insurance number, and any partner's National Insurance number

Original identity and National Insurance number evidence must be provided to us in person. Please don't send us original documents through the post. We use ultraviolet scanners to check that documents are the originals and haven't been altered.

You'll also need to provide evidence (scanned copies or digital photos taken on your mobile or tablet) of the following:

Providing evidence of:



Please send a copy of your current tenancy agreement using the benefits enquiry form.

If you're a Thirteen tenant we will not need to see your tenancy agreement as Thirteen will send the details directly to us.

If you previously owned the property you're now renting, you'll need to complete the former owner online form.



If you or someone in your household is working, we'll need to see proof of your earnings.

If you have payslips

Please provide your last 5 weekly payslips if you're paid weekly, or the last 2 payslips if you're paid every four weeks or every month. If your weekly varies every week, please provide your last 8 weekly payslips.

You can upload your payslips prior to coming to sign your application form in person. If you can't upload your payslips, please bring all the relevant information with you when you come to sign your application form.

Send us your payslips using the benefits enquiry form.

If you don't have payslips

If you don't have any payslips, you can ask your employer to complete a form for you.

Download the employers earnings certificate form.

Send us the employers earnings certificate using the benefits enquiry form

If someone in your household has just started work, on the claim form you should state who their employer is, the hourly rate they'll be paid, and the number of hours a week they're likely to work. We can pay your claim provisionally until they have the required payslips. If you've not put this information on your application form, please tell the adviser when you come to sign your application form.



If you're self-employed, please send your last profit and loss accounts.

If you don't have these accounts, please state your annual income and expenditure for your business.

If you've just become self-employed, please state what you expect your income and expenditure details to be for the first 13 weeks of trading.

Send your evidence using the self-employment form.

personal / work pensions


Please provide your latest pension slip.

Send your pension slip using the benefits enquiry form.

social security benefits / tax credits


Please provide state benefit and tax credit award letters showing the current rate of benefit you receive.

If these aren't available, it may be possible for the council to verify your entitlement directly with the Department for Work and Pensions or the Tax Credit office.

Send us your evidence using the benefits enquiry form.

savings and capital


Do you or your partner have savings and capital of more than £6,000 (£10,000 if you're a pensioner)? If yes, please provide your last 2 monthly bank statements for each account you have, and proof of any shares or investments you have.

We need to see proof of all your savings including current saving accounts in banks/building societies, investment accounts, stocks and shares, premium bonds, TESSAs, ISAs, etc. You must provide your last two monthly bank statements or up to date passbooks for each account.

You'll also need to provide evidence of the value of any property or other assets.

Send us your evidence using the benefits enquiry form.

Please note, if you have £16,000 or more in savings/capital you aren't eligible for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, unless you're awarded the guarantee element of Pension Credit.