Home chevron_right Benefits and support chevron_right Support payments chevron_right Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payment

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) can help if you're struggling to pay your rent.

If your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element) does not cover all your rent, and you cannot afford to pay the rest, you may be able to get a DHP.

DHPs are a short-term solution. They give you time to adjust your circumstances so you can afford to pay the rest of your rent yourself.

In some cases, we can provide help for longer.

What DHPs can pay for

DHPs are made to help you move to cheaper alternative accommodation, or improve your financial situation. They can also be made to ease financial hardship as a result of a change in your circumstances, a reduction in income, or where your tenancy is at risk.

What DHPs cannot pay for

  • Rent arrears
  • Loans or debts
  • If you've been sanctioned or had your benefits suspended
  • Food, water and energy bills, or other service charges included in your rent
  • A reduction in your Housing Benefit because you're repaying an overpayment

Make a claim

We'll look at your finances and personal circumstances, so it's important to give as much information as possible when you apply.

If you're getting Universal Credit, you'll need to tell us about the amount of rent you have to pay, before we can give you a DHP. Send us proof of your rent using the benefits enquiry form.

What happens next

If your claim is successful, we'll write to you. We'll let you know how much you'll get, how long it'll be paid for, and how it will be paid.

If your claim is unsuccessful, we'll write to you. We'll explain why your application has been refused, and how you can ask for a review if you do not agree with our decision.