There are delays to bin collections in a number of areas. We're working this weekend to catch up. What to do if your bin was missed

Home chevron_right Business and licensing chevron_right Licences and permits chevron_right Highway licences chevron_right Highway works licence

Highway works licence

Any person or organisation who wishes to carry out work within, excavate, or break through the existing adopted highway, will need to apply for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA), prior to the work taking place.

Application forms

Download the Section 50 (new apparatus) licence application form

Download the Section 50 (existing apparatus) licence application form

Check the full list of charges for highway licences to find out how much the licence will cost.

Submitting an application

Application forms should be submitted to: Highways, First Floor, Resolution House, Cargo Fleet Lane, Middlesbrough, TS3 8AL, or by email to

If you need advice about a road opening licence, please call 01642 728156.


Please note the following guidance:

  • the person granted the streetworks licence becomes an undertaker for the purposes of NRSWA and therefore, attracts the relevant duties and responsibilities imposed by the Act and associated Secondary Legislation and Codes of Practice
  • those applicants not familiar with the requirements of this legislation are strongly advised to appoint a contractor with the appropriate knowledge and accreditation to help complete the application and conduct the works on their behalf. Contractors without the appropriate knowledge and accreditation will not be allowed to work within the highway
  • licence holders may incur financial penalties for non-compliance with the relevant statutory duties or licence conditions, and applicants must note that this liability cannot be delegated to any other person or organisation
  • the requirement to obtain the licence applies to any person or organisation (other than anyone acting under a statutory right) who wishes to place, retain and thereafter inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter, or renew apparatus or change its position or remove it from the highway. The term 'apparatus' includes drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes, water and gas pipes etc. both under, over, across, along, or upon the highway
  • the application must be submitted prior to commencement of the proposed works

The above guidance is not exhaustive of all requirements of the licence. If you require further information or guidance please contact the council using the contact details above.