There's still time to apply for a bigger bin before fortnightly rubbish collections start. Find out what you need to do

Home chevron_right Business and licensing chevron_right Licences and permits chevron_right Highway licences chevron_right Road opening licence

Road opening licence

If you need to make an excavation within the highway, you'll need to submit an application to the council prior to the excavation taking place.

Application form

Download the road opening licence application form.

Check the full list of charges for highway licences to find out how much the licence will be.


1. Insurance: your contractor will require a valid Public Liability Insurance policy to the value of £5,000,000.

2. The works: the excavation should be signed and guarded in accordance with Safety at Street Works and Road Works - A Code of Practice.

3. Indemnity/liability: the Licensee shall indemnify and hold harmless the Council against all liability, claims and demands whatsoever in connection with the excavation and associated works.

Submitting an application

Application forms should be submitted to: Highways, First Floor, Resolution House, Cargo Fleet Lane, Middlesbrough, TS3 8AL, or by email to

If you need advice about a road opening licence, please call 01642 728156.