We're releasing dates for the collection of old green bins one week at a time. See next week's dates

Home chevron_right Children, families, and safeguarding chevron_right Children in care chevron_right Leaving care chevron_right Where to live when you leave care

Getting ready to leave care

Where to live when you leave care

There are a few different options for where you can live when you leave care.

If you're already living with a foster carer, you can stay with them after you turn 18 (if you're both happy with that).

You can try supported lodgings, where you'll have your own room in someone else's home. It gives you a chance to learn the skills you need to look after yourself when you live alone.

If you're not interested in either of those things, there's still lots of support you can get when you find your own place.

A special housing officer in the Pathways team can give you advice about finding somewhere to live.

You can get money from the 'Setting Up Home allowance' to pay for some of the things you'll need in your home if you're renting a place.

We'll give you advice about opening a bank account, and help you to apply for any benefits you can claim.

You'll need to pay your rent and bills, and make sure you still have enough money left for food and anything else you might need. So we'll help you learn how to make your money last all month.

As a care leaver, you won't have to pay any Council Tax until your 25th birthday for a home that you occupy, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Find out more about the help and support care leavers can get.