Home chevron_right Community support chevron_right Cost of living chevron_right Help with your energy bills

Help with your energy bills

Household Support Fund


Grants from the Household Support Fund are to help towards energy costs, water bills and food as well as other essential costs such as Council Tax. You may be eligible for extra financial support based on your circumstances.

Gas and electric


Get help with your gas and electric

The Community Support Scheme helps people who are in crisis and need immediate support. We can offer help in specific circumstances, for a range of different items or needs, including gas and electric.

Find out more and apply for help through the community support scheme.

Other support

You may be able to get a government grant depending on your circumstances or any benefits you're getting. The government website has more information about:

Water bills


If you're struggling to pay your water bill, your supplier can offer you advice and free water-saving devices to help reduce your bills. You can find out more on your water supplier's website.

You should speak to your water supplier as soon as possible if you can't pay your bill, or if you already owe them money. Visit the Citizens Advice website to find out what to say to your water supplier. They also have information about schemes set up by water companies to help you pay your bill.

StepChange has advice on how to deal with being in arrears (debt) on your water bill.

Help if you are in arrears (debt)


Gas and electricity are priority bills. You should try to pay these bills first, because they can cause particularly serious problems if you don't do anything about them. You can find out more about priority debts on Citizens Advice.

If you don't pay your gas or electricity bill, you're at risk of having your supply cut off. This is why you should talk to your energy provider as soon as possible if you're unable to pay, or you're already in arrears (debt). They might be able to put you on a cheaper tariff to reduce your future bills, or tell you about any support they offer to help with your bills.

You can find out more about gas and electricity arrears on the National Debtline website.

If you're in arrears on your bills, you might be able to get a 'breathing space' protection. This means you will not be contacted about paying off your debts for up to 60 days. It gives you time to improve your financial situation, so you're ready to start paying off your debts once the protection ends. Ask your debt advice provider for more information about breathing spaces.

Citizens Advice has advice on what to do if you're in arrears and your supplier is threatening to cut off your energy supply.

Feeling like you can't cope?

We know that it's scary when you don't know if you'll be able to buy food or pay your next bill. If you're feeling anxious, depressed, or like you've run out of options, please reach out for help.

The Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys crisis service is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They will listen without judging you, support you, and help you with what to do next. You can call them on 0800 0516 171, for free. Please don't suffer alone.