Home chevron_right Community support chevron_right Stronger Communities chevron_right Asylum support chevron_right Immigration advice

Immigration advice

For immigration advice, you must use a trained adviser who is registered with OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner). You could use a specialist immigration solicitor, although some advice organisations also have OISC-registered advisers who work for them.

Which adviser to choose

Immigration advisers are only allowed to give you advice on things they are qualified to help you with. They must be qualified either to Level 1, 2, or 3:

  • Level 1 (advice and assistance): entry clearance, leave to remain, citizenship
  • Level 2 (casework): asylum claims, problems with visas
  • Level 3 (advocacy and representation): immigration tribunals

If you are not sure which level adviser you need, you can find out more about all the levels on the government's website.

You will usually have to pay for immigration advice if it is not to do with asylum – for example, to get travel documents, settlement, or to bring a partner or spouse to the UK. This includes spouse visas and visas for other family members.

Getting immigration advice

You can get immigration advice:

In person

At Middlesbrough Citizens Advice.


You can use the government website to find advisers in Middlesbrough, and check what level they are qualified to. You should also check if they charge a fee.

By phone

You can phone Middlesbrough Citizens Advice on 01642 802282.