The Chair's chains
The Chair of Middlesbrough Council's chains are gold Byzantine style. A pendant hangs from the chains, which contains the town's coat of arms, set out in enamel. You can find out more about the design on the coat of arms page.
The links of the chain bear the names of Middlesbrough's mayors since the town's incorporation in 1853.
The chains were bought by the Middlesbrough Corporation (which came before Middlesbrough Council) in 1868, to commemorate the opening of Albert Park. They were paid for using money which the council had voted to use towards cost of decorations etc. for the event.
The Chair's robes
The Chair's robes are made of scarlet cloth and trimmed with artificial fur. They were presented, together with a silk hat, to the Middlesbrough Corporation by C. Willman Esq., (mayor) to commemorate the Jubilee of Middlesbrough in 1881.
The council has two other mayoral hats, one presented by Alderman Hinton (mayor) in 1887, and the other by Councillor Harkess (mayor) in 1912.
The robes are currently on display in the Civic Suite.