There are delays to bin collections in a number of areas. We're working this weekend to catch up. What to do if your bin was missed

Home chevron_right Council Tax chevron_right Struggling to pay?

Are you struggling to pay your Council Tax?

Give us more information

Are you struggling to pay your Council Tax or Housing Benefit Overpayment? Are you struggling to make payments as part of an arrangement we've put in place with you? Please complete the online budget sheet to help us understand your current financial situation.

A caseworker will review the information you give us, and get in touch with you. They'll help you put a plan in place for making payments which works for both you and us. They'll also help you to keep on top of your current payments, and tell you how to get in touch with charities or organisations who can help you, if you need it.

Manage your debt

Citizens Advice can give you advice on dealing with your debt. Find out how to contact Citizens Advice in Middlesbrough.

The National Debt Helpline (0808 808 4000) can give you free, impartial, and confidential advice about how to deal with your debt.

Cleveland Housing Advice Centre offers advice on debt, and will also speak to creditors on your behalf about repaying or reducing your debts. Visit Cleveland Housing Advice Centre's website or call 01642 254544.

If you're looking to get help from a registered debt adviser, they may be able to help you get protection called a 'breathing space'. If you have a 'breathing space' protection, you will not be contacted about paying off your debts for up to 60 days. This gives you time to improve your financial situation, so you're ready to start paying off your debts once the protection ends. Ask your debt advice provider for more information about breathing spaces.

If you're struggling to pay your bills and you've borrowed cash from someone, and they're now threatening you or making you pay back huge amounts of money, they might be a loan shark. You can report a loan shark to the Illegal Money Lending Team, who will investigate and try to send them to prison. Report a loan shark online or call 0300 555 2222.

Organise your money

Money Helper gives free advice on budgeting, which can help you make your money last longer. Find out more about budgeting.

Middlesbrough Environment City can give one-to-one energy efficiency advice to people with long term health conditions, and people living with dementia and their carers. This advice may help you to reduce your bills, giving you more money to go towards your Council Tax.

Change how often you pay

Move to paying off your balance over 12 months instead of 10. You'll pay the same amount over the year, but the amount you pay every month will be less.

Move to making payments every week instead of every month. You'll pay the same amount over the year, but paying every week can help if you find it hard to budget for a whole month and often run out of money by the time your bill is due.

To switch to paying over 12 months, or to paying weekly, you'll need to contact us by calling 01642 726006. Our phone lines are open Monday and Wednesday (10am to 4:30pm), and Friday (10am to 4pm). They are closed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

You might be able to get a discount or exemption which would mean you'd pay less Council Tax.

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction if your household income is low. Find out more about Council Tax Reduction.