Middlesbrough Council is required by law to have and implement a records retention and disposal schedule.
The Council also needs a records retention schedule to:
- manage proper disposal in line with data protection legislation
- improve efficiency by allowing easier access to relevant documents by removing old and out of date ones
- reduce storage and backup costs, bringing major savings in the cost of physical space
- improve the accessibility of information requested under the Freedom of
Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations
- operate in line with the principles of open government by identifying which information is held
The full records retention policy is available on the open data Middlesbrough website.