There's still time to apply for a bigger bin before fortnightly rubbish collections start. Find out what you need to do

Home chevron_right Latest news chevron_right New charging points could unlock electric vehicle use in Middlesbrough

New charging points could unlock electric vehicle use in Middlesbrough

Environment and climate change

Friday, 17 November 2023
Cllr Peter Gavigan

New charging points to be installed in residential areas across Middlesbrough could unlock electric vehicle use in the town.

Middlesbrough Council’s Executive is set to give the green light to a scheme which will see up to 160 chargers installed at 90 locations in the borough.

Although some electric car drivers can rely on off-street parking like a driveway to allow them to charge their vehicles, many living in Middlesbrough are unable to access safe charging points.

But now, a partnership with private firm Ubitricity will see more than £200,000 of external funding invested to put charging infrastructure where it’s most needed – including in terraced streets.

Cllr Peter Gavigan, Executive Member for Environment at Middlesbrough Council, said: “This initiative will make it much easier for people to charge their electric vehicle in a simple and convenient way, while removing what we know is a significant barrier to people choosing to go electric.

“To make sure people in Middlesbrough have the best access to a charging point, most will be installed on residential streets which either have no parking restrictions, or in those areas where resident parking schemes are in place.

“We aim to tackle climate change head on in Middlesbrough and schemes like this one underline that commitment.”

Ubitricity has worked with other local authorities to install more than 6,500 charging points across the UK.

The chargers are designed to fit into existing lampposts so can be rolled out quickly and efficiently in residential areas. Where lampposts are not suitable, bollard charge points will be used.

Middlesbrough Council was successful in winning £125,000 of grant funding from the Government’s On-Street Residential Chargepoint Scheme, which makes up 60% of the total installation cost - with Ubitricity contributing the other 40%.

The council will earn an income of 5% of fees generated from the charging points.

A recommendation to enter into the partnership will be voted upon by Middlesbrough Council’s Executive on Tuesday, November 21.