We're releasing dates for the collection of old green bins one week at a time. See next week's dates

Home chevron_right Planning and development chevron_right Development Control chevron_right Development Control FAQs

Development Control

Development Control FAQs

Current planning applications

How do I check the status of a planning application?


You can get all the information about a planning application, including the status of the application, by contacting the relevant Planning Officer.

Check 'Who is the Planning Officer dealing with my planning application?' if you do not know how to find this information.

Who is the Planning Officer dealing with my planning application?


To find out which Planning Officer is dealing with a specific planning application you can use the planning application search. When you've found the planning application you're looking for, click on it to display more information. The name of the planning officer will be identified as 'Officer name'.

Alternatively, you can call us on 01642 729377.

How do I view and comment on a planning application?


Planning decisions

How can I find out about a decision on a planning application?


You can view the weekly decision list.

Alternatively, information relating to all recent planning applications, including the decision, can be obtained by telephoning the Development Control department on 01642 729377.

How do I request a copy of a planning decision notice?


For a copy of a decision notice, email us at bcsubmissions@middlesbrough.gov.uk, or write to Building Control, Middlesbrough Council, Fountain Court, 119 Grange Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2DT. You must enclose a payment (copies will not be issued unless we've got your payment).

Decision notices are available from 2006 to the present via our Public Access system. Search for the relevant application, documents, and decision notice.

How do I get copies of old plans?


Due to the copyright restrictions placed on drawings, it's always necessary to get approval from the drawer of the plans. Once you have this, you can write to us with the approval and relevant fee, which depends on the size of the plans.

Trees and hedgerows

Works to trees and hedgerows


For all general information and advice on tree works/removal or hedgerows, please visit the Planning Portal.

If you want to carry out works to a tree or hedgerow in a conservation area you must submit an application form prior to any works taking place.

How do I find out if a tree has a TPO on it?


You can view a list of all Tree Preservation Orders in Middlesbrough.

If you're struggling with the document, you can email developmentcontrol@middlesbrough.gov.uk to find out whether a specific tree has a TPO on it.

If you need a copy of a TPO, please email bcsubmissions@middlesbrough.gov.uk. There is a charge for a copy of a TPO.

Planning Committee

Where can I see Planning Committee agendas and minutes?


Planning Committee agendas and minutes are available via ModernGov.

If I want to speak at a Planning Committee meeting do I have to notify anyone?


Members of the public who want to speak at Planning Committee meetings will have already been invited to attend by a letter from the Planning Office.

Planning Committee meetings are usually held on the third Friday of every month in the Mandela Room of the Town Hall. The meeting begins at 1:30pm. We advise that you get there early to give your name to the committee clerk.

Those with an interest in the outcome - applicant, agent, supporters, objectors – will be allowed to speak for 5 minutes, at the chairman's discretion. If more than one person from each party wishes to speak, the party must elect a spokesperson.

Contacting us and making appointments

Can I meet a Planning Officer to discuss a general planning issue?


If you wish to discuss a general planning issue with a Planning Officer, you should contact the Development Control office beforehand to arrange a meeting. The Development Control office can be contacted by telephone on 01642 729377 or via email to developmentcontrol@middlesbrough.gov.uk.

Can I speak to a Planning Officer by telephone?


You can telephone the Development Control office on 01642 729377 and ask for the Planning Officer you require.

Please be aware that officers are encouraged not to provide pre-application advice over the telephone. For this type of advice please email or write to the Development Control office.

How do I make an appointment for a personal search / site history?


You can telephone the Development Control office on 01642 729377 or email developmentcontrol@middlesbrough.gov.uk to make an appointment.

Do I need an appointment to view plans?


We recommend that you make an appointment with an officer to view plans belonging to current planning applications, but it's not essential. Please be aware that if you do not make an appointment, an officer may not be available to deal with your enquiry when you visit.

However, if you want to view plans relating to planning applications which have already been determined, an appointment is essential. These plans are not always available to be viewed during normal opening hours.