We're releasing dates for the collection of old green bins one week at a time. See next week's dates

Home chevron_right Planning and development chevron_right Planning applications

Planning applications

Planning permission

Planning permission is needed before you can build something, make a major change to a building, like building an extension, or change the use of a building. The Planning Portal offers detailed guidance on which projects need planning permission, so you can get the correct approval before you begin your project.

Planning fees

You can use the Planning Portal's calculator to estimate the amount you'll be liable to pay in planning fees. Please note that this is only an estimate which is given based on your answers to the questions asked.

Planning fees increase every year and are linked to inflation (capped at 10%).

Changes to how we process planning applications

We're changing how we process planning applications to make our service more efficient. The best way to do this is by ensuring applicants and agents submit applications which have a good chance of being approved.

Find out more about the changes to how we process planning applications.

Submitting your application

You can apply for planning permission online through the Planning Portal. There may be a cost for this service.

Alternatively, you can download and print an application form and return it to us by post or email.

The validation checklist will help you to ensure you have everything you need before you submit your planning application.

If you need more guidance, the Planning Portal tells you which documents and supporting evidence you'll need to submit as part of your application.

You can use your credit or debit card to pay your planning fees by phone, by calling 01642 729377.

Design and Access Statements

Our guidance will explain whether a Design and Access Statement or Heritage Statement are required to support your application, and advise on how to produce them.

Planning and noise

Noise is a material consideration in the planning process and a key part of sustainable development. It must be given serious attention when new developments might create additional noise, and when new developments would be sensitive to prevailing acoustic conditions. The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) encourages improved standards of design.

The professional practice guidance on planning and noise should be followed to ensure better acoustic design for new residential developments, and to protect people from the harmful effects of noise.

Contaminated land and planning applications

Developers are responsible for investigating land contamination, cleaning up contamination, and ensuring land is safe and suitable for its proposed future use.

Before developing land it is appropriate, and often necessary, to carry out a contaminated land assessment. This will identify if the land contains any articles, substances, or gases which will need to be removed, encapsulated, or otherwise safely managed so they are not a risk to health. Carrying out such an assessment is particularly important if the land will be used for housing or similar purposes where the users of the land are vulnerable to the presence of any particular contaminants.

Guidance produced by the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Pollution Advisory Group may be used to assist developers, landowners, and consultants.

Find and comment on a planning application

You can view and comment on planning application online. You'll need to create an account and login before you can comment.

Find out more about viewing and commenting on a planning application.


For more information about planning applications, contact Development Control by calling 01642 729377 or emailing developmentcontrol@middlesbrough.gov.uk.

You can also write to: Development Control Service, Middlesbrough Council, Fountain Court, 119 Grange Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2DT.