Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Special Education Needs

Special Educational Needs and assessments

The majority of children with special educational needs (SEN) will have their needs met in their local mainstream school, sometimes with the help of outside specialists. In some cases, children attend specialist bases in mainstream schools or special schools depending upon their individual needs.

Any new statutory assessment of SEN covers a child's education, health and care needs (EHC assessment), if they have needs in these areas. In all cases, children must be identified as having a special educational need to have an EHC assessment. The assessment will be coordinated by the council's Special Educational Needs team.

Any professional working to support a child can request that the council carries out an education, health and care assessment (EHC assessment). Requests are most often made by the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) of a child's education setting. Parents and carers can talk to any of the people who support their child about the EHC assessment, discuss whether an assessment is needed, and if so, complete the request form.

The council is in the process of transferring existing statements of SEN to Education, Health and Care Plans where necessary and appropriate to meet the child / young person's needs.

For more information regarding SEN in Middlesbrough please contact:

SEN Assessment Team 0-25
Phone: 01642 201830 / 01642 201828

You can also visit the Local Offer website to see details of support available for children with SEN.