Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Worried about an adult icon

Safeguarding adults

Our aim is to safeguard adults against abuse and to raise awareness throughout the community to prevent further abuse.

If you are worried that an adult may be harmed or neglected please contact one of the following numbers.

In an emergency call 999

Access Team

Phone: 01642 065070 

(Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm)

At any other time, contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01642 524 552.

For more information about safeguarding you can view the Tees-wide Inter-Agency Safeguarding Adults Policy.

The Care Act 2014 brought about changes to care and support. Read more about the Care Act 2014.

What is abuse and neglect?

There are many forms of abuse. They may include one or more of the following:

  • Physical abuse for example, being hit, slapped or punched.
  • Psychological or emotional abuse for example, intimidation, threats of harm or controlling behaviour.
  • Sexual abuse for example indecent exposure, rape, sexual harassment or sexual acts where an adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
  • Financial or material abuse for example, misuse of someone's money, possessions or property.
  • Domestic abuse can include some or all of the above and also includes so called honour based violence.
  • Neglect for example, not providing necessary food, clothing, shelter or medical care.
  • Self-neglect for example, someone neglecting their own personal hygiene, health and surroundings.
  • Discriminatory abuse for example, harassment because of race, gender, age, disability, sexuality or religion.
  • Modern slavery for example, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.
  • Organisational abuse for example, neglect and poor practice within a setting such as a care home or hospital, or in relation to care provided at home.

Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board

The Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board is a statutory body responsible for developing strategies to reduce risk and prevent harm, and responding effectively when abuse and neglect occurs.

The Board is underpinned by the Care Act 2014. Our role is to ensure our safeguarding arrangements act to help and protect adults. For further information you can read the Board's business plan and annual reports.

    How to report abuse and neglect Teeswide

    In an emergency contact the police on 999, alternatively contact 101 if you think a crime has been committed in relation to abuse and neglect.

    If you are still worried about something that has happened, but you don't think this is a crime and want to report this, then contact the following:

    Phone: 01642 065070 

    Middlesbrough out of hours duty team: 01642 524 552

    Find out how to report a safeguarding incident if you live in Stockton, Hartlepool or Redcar.

    Independent Advocacy is the process of actively supporting and representing a person. Local authorities must arrange the use of an advocate during: the safeguarding assessment process, the preparation and review of a person's care and support plan, and safeguarding enquiries, if:

    • the person would have substantial difficulty in being fully involved in these processes if an advocate was not involved
    • there is no other person to support and represent the adult who is not a paid professional or carer.

    Further support

    Further support organisations for adults can be found on the Staying Safe section of Middlesbrough Matters.

    Action on Elder Abuse

    Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) is a private organisation that operates across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. They focus exclusively on the issue of elder abuse, not as one issue among many. One key way in which they address elder abuse is through the unique helpline, which provides information, advice and support to victims and others who are concerned about, or have witnessed, abuse.

    Learn more about Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) or call 0808 808 8141.