We're releasing dates for the collection of old green bins one week at a time. See next week's dates

Home chevron_right Adult social care chevron_right Independent living chevron_right Sensory support chevron_right Sensory support advice and information

Sensory Support Service

Sensory support advice and information

There are a range of local and national organisations, and community groups, which offer sensory support. You can find out more about them on this page.

If you, or someone you know, needs care and/or support, you should contact adult social care. You can get a sensory support assessment, which means we'll work with you to find out what your care and support needs are, and how best to meet them.

Check out our noticeboard for the latest announcements and information.

Sensory drop-in clinic


A sensory drop-in clinic takes place every month for adults who are partially sighted, blind, D/deaf, or hard of hearing. Family and carers are also welcome.

The clinic takes place on the first Friday of each month, at the Live Well Centre (Dundas Arcade, Middlesbrough town centre).

Pop in any time between 10am and 12pm for free refreshments, and the chance to chat with service providers and like-minded people. BSL interpreters will be available to help us meet everyone's communication needs. There will be monthly activities like cooking demonstrations, physical activity sessions, mindfulness, and more, as well as assessments and signposting to support services.

Daily living advice


Getting support


If you, or someone you know, needs care and/or support, you should contact adult social care. A relative, friend, or other health care professional can help, or do it for you. We'll work with you to find out what your care and support needs are, and how best to meet them. Find out more about how social care can help.

Vision rehabilitation


Vision rehabilitation is a form of reablement which can help if a change in your level of vision is affecting your daily living. Vision rehabilitation can help you become more independent and improve your wellbeing. It can also stop you needing extra care and support. Vision rehabilitation can involve anything from developing skills in the kitchen, like preparing meals and making a cup of tea, to getting out and about using public transport to go shopping or take part in social activities.

The amount of vision rehabilitation you get will depend on your circumstances and sight condition.

Under the Care Act 2014, councils must provide vision rehabilitation for residents with eligible care and support needs. Contact Adult Social Care to find out more.

Health and wellbeing




Community activities and social groups

  • Age UK Teesside supports older people, and is dedicated to promoting wellbeing and independence for over-50s, helping them to live a fulfilling and enjoyable later life
  • Teesside & District Society for the Blind is a community group based in Middlesbrough which offers a range of support and activities to blind and partially-sighted people. To find out more about attending the group, please call 01642 247518 or email manager@teessideblind.co.uk
  • Join a Living Well with Sight Loss course to meet and share experiences with others, increase your confidence, and get practical advice, information and resources
  • The CHILD Deaf Youth Project (CDYP) provides a range of educational and social activities, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, where young people can interact using their first / preferred communication methods
  • The RNID (The Royal National Institute for Deaf People) runs different groups throughout the week at the North Ormesby deaf centre. To find out more, contact the RNID by calling 0808 808 0123, texting 07360 268 988, or emailing contact@rnid.org.uk

Community support

  • RNIB is a national charity supporting people with sight loss with a wide range of information, advice, and connections to local groups and activities
  • RNIB Sightline is a directory of services supporting blind and partially sighted people
  • RNID is a national hearing loss charity, supporting deaf people and those with hearing loss or tinnitus
  • Staying included (Middlesbrough Independent Living Services) helps you to stay connected to your community, meeting new people and taking part in activities, as well as helping you to live safely and independently at home
  • Rekindle - digital inclusion (Middlesbrough Independent Living Services) can support you with using digital technology like computers and smartphones, and getting online
  • Our street wardens respond to anti-social behaviour and provide a reassuring presence in communities - you can contact them by calling 01642 228500 (seven days a week, 8am to 10pm)
  • The Victim Care and Advice Service supports victims of crime in Middlesbrough. Their service is confidential, and offers regular contact with victims, advice and guidance, practical assistance, and advocacy for most vulnerable victims. Visit the Victim Care and Advice Service website or email info@vcas.uk.
  • Citizens Advice gives people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward - whoever they are, and whatever their problem. You can also get help locally from Middlesbrough Citizens Advice

Emergency support


If you are in danger, call 999.

  • The Emergency SMS service lets you send text messages to the emergency services (police, ambulance, fire brigade, or coastguard)
  • Relay UK helps Deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired people to call 999 in an emergency
  • British Sign Language emergency video relay service - in an emergency, contact 999 through the 999BSL website or the 999 BSL app, and you'll be connected to a BSL interpreter who will contact the 999 operator and relay the conversation