Parents who receive certain benefits are eligible to apply for free school meals for their child.
If you live in Middlesbrough and receive any of the following support, you'll be eligible to apply for free school meals for your child.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
How to claim free school meals
You can claim free school means by:
- downloading and completing the free school meals application form, and sending it to Free School Meals, PO Box 2, Middlesbrough, TS1 2YL
- visiting your child's school and completing an application form, which the school will then fax to the free school meals office
- visiting the free school meals office, which is located in the Customer Centre at Middlesbrough House
What happens next
Once your claim has been assessed, a letter will be sent to inform you of the outcome. If you qualify, we'll notify your child's school.
Free School Meals
PO Box 2