Parents who receive certain benefits are eligible to apply for free school meals for their child.
If you live in Middlesbrough and receive any of the following support payments, you're eligible to apply for free school meals for your child.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
How to claim free school meals
- Download and complete the free school meals application form, and send to Free School Meals, PO Box 98, Middlesbrough House, TS1 2YQ
- Visit your child's school and complete an application form and the school will fax it to the free school meals office
- Visit the free school meals office at Middlesbrough House
What happens next
Once your claim has been assessed, a letter will be sent to inform you of the outcome. If you qualify, we will notify your child's school.
Change in circumstances
It's your responsibility to contact the free school meals office if your circumstances change, for example, if you no longer receive one of the qualifying benefits, you have moved house, or your child moves to a different school.
Free School Meals
PO Box 98