Universal Credit will start from the date you make your claim. It will only be backdated in exceptional circumstances, so don't delay making your claim or you might lose money.
Before you start your claim
To complete your application, you'll need:
- your bank, building society, or credit union account details
- an email address
- access to a phone
- proof of your identity, like a driving licence, passport, debit or credit card, or payslip
You'll also need to give information about:
- your housing, for example how much rent you pay
- your earnings, for example payslips
- any disability or health condition that affects your work
- how much you pay for childcare if you want help with childcare costs
- your savings and any investments, like shares or a property that you rent out
You'll also need these details for anyone else who lives in your home, like your partner.
Once you start your application online, you can save your details and come back to it later.