Home chevron_right Business and licensing chevron_right Food businesses chevron_right Register a food premises or feed establishment

Food businesses

Register a food premises or feed establishment

A food business is anyone preparing, cooking, storing, handling, distributing, supplying, or selling food. All food businesses must be registered with the council, including restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, and market stalls, as well as temporary premises like mobile catering and food delivery vans.

Even if you do not make a profit from the food (for example, a charity), you're still classed as a 'business' and you must register.

Some food businesses need specific approval before they start trading, for example businesses which make foodstuffs containing animal products.

Register a food business

Registration is free and you can apply to register your food business online.

If you have more than one premises you must register each one separately. Registration is not transferable, so if a food premises changes ownership, the new owner must complete a new food premises registration.

Businesses which need approval

If your business involves handling meat, fish, egg, or dairy products, you may need approval before you can start trading.

You can apply for approval of your food business online.

Animal feed business registration

To register an animal feed establishment, email your details to EHTS@middlesbrough.gov.uk and a member of the Trading Standards team will contact you. Alternatively, you can call 01642 726001.

Read more about animal feed business requirements.


If you cannot find what you're looking for on this page, or you need more information, email EHTS@middlesbrough.gov.uk or call 01642 726001.