Home chevron_right Community support chevron_right Armed Forces chevron_right Useful contacts chevron_right Housing - information for veterans

Housing - information for veterans

Housing is a common concern for military personnel. Moving house is a stressful experience, especially for those leaving Service Family Accommodation, or single soldiers who have been serving abroad.

Veterans' Gateway


Veterans' Gateway is the first point of contact for veterans seeking support.

It's made up of a number of military charities and can put you in touch with organisations who can help further.

Call Veterans' Gateway on 0808 802 1212 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) or visit the Veterans' Gateway website.

Citizens Advice


Citizens Advice has housing information for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families. You can use their website to find out about organisations that can help you with your housing needs. You can also find out how to speak to a Citizens Advice adviser who may be able to help you.

Visit the Citizens Advice website.

Defence Transition Service (DTS)


The Defence Transition Services (DTS) team provides information about civilian housing information to service personnel and their dependants, at any time in their career. They also support people during resettlement to help with the transition to civilian life.

Find out more about information and guidance on civilian housing.

Getting help with housing


If you are a veteran, you can get help to find somewhere to live from your local council. They can give you free advice on housing options, and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

Social housing providers

Provider Phone Address/website
Accent Group 0845 678 0573 202 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 3QW
Anchor/Hanover 0808 102 6798 Anchor website
Guinness Northern Counties 0303 123 1890 Guinness website
Habinteg Housing Association 0300 365 3100 Habinteg website
Home Group 0345 141 4663 Home Group website
Housing 21 0370 192 4000 Housing 21 website
North Star Housing Group Ltd 0300 011 0011 Endeavour House, St. Marks Court, Thornaby, TS17 6QN
Places for People 0845 850 9571 Places for People website
Thirteen 0300 111 1000

2 Hudson Quay, Windward Way, Middlesbrough, TS2 1QG

Thirteen Housing website

Homeless and Housing Advice Team

The Housing Solutions Team can give you help and advice if you're homeless or at risk of homelessness.

The first step to getting help is to call the team on 0800 130 3667. Find out more about how Housing Solutions can help you.

Riverside Housing

Riverside Housing provides single person’s accommodation and a number of other support services for single, homeless veterans in the Tees Valley area. The 20 furnished flats at Hardwick House in Middlesbrough are a safe and secure environment. They offer single veterans up to 18 months' support to help them transition into permanent housing and employment.

All referrals to Hardwick House are via SPACES (Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services). They can be contacted on 01748 833797 / 01748 872940 / 01748 830191 or by email to spaces@riverside.org.uk.

Find out more about SPACES.


Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through their advice, support, and legal services.

Get housing advice from Shelter.


Stoll provides affordable, high-quality housing and support services to enable vulnerable and disabled veterans to lead fulfilling, independent lives.

For more information, call 020 7385 2110 or visit the Stoll website.

Haig Housing

Haig Housing provides housing assistance to ex-service people and/or their dependants.

They let general needs homes to the ex-service community at affordable rents, and provide tailored housing solutions to suit the individual needs of severely wounded and disabled veterans.

Haig Housing also offers a wide range of housing advice to the service community, and is the strategic housing partner of Help for Heroes.

For more information, call 020 8685 5777 or visit the Haig Housing website.

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion offers advice and information through their phone helpline, online live chat, email, and their website ‘knowledge’ database.

For more information, call 0808 802 8080 or visit the Royal British Legion website.

The Officers' Association

The Officers' Association provides support and advice to former officers and their dependents on a variety of matters including finances, housing, health, wellbeing, volunteering, and maintaining a social life

For more information, call 020 7808 4175 or visit the Officers' Association website.