Parking Icon

Materials on the highway licence

If you wish to temporarily deposit building materials, rubbish or other items in a street or make a temporary excavation, you must have consent from the highways authority.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent and comply with requirements relating to the noticing of, and signing and guarding of, deposits or excavations.

Download the materials on the highway licence application form.

It's in the public interest that the council processes your application before it can be granted, therefore you won't be able to start the works until you've heard from the council. If you've not had a response within a reasonable period, please contact the council.

Application forms should be submitted to: Transport and Infrastructure, PO Box 504, Civic Centre, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FY, or by email to

If you need advice about a road opening licence, please call 01642 728156.

View a full schedule of charges for highway licences.

  • Affected by flooding from Marton West Beck? Share your views at a drop-in today, Clairville Common Car Park, 1-3pm >
    14 hours 35 min ago
  • At the Dorman Musem today: view the latest exhibition d-FORMED and meet the artist, Kev Howard between 10.30am-2pm,…
    15 hours 50 min ago
  • Affected by flooding from Marton West Beck? Share your views today at a drop-in at Centre Square, 10-12 >
    16 hours 50 min ago