In the coming months, we'll be carrying out works to the highway at the junction of Newport Road and Hartington Road.
The improvement works will provide a safe crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists at a busy intersection. They will support the Northern School of Art's planned pedestrian and cycle way.
The works will consist of:
- the installation of a signalised pedestrian crossing facility (toucan) on the northern arm of Newport Road/Hartington Road
- improvement works to the traffic island at the entrance to the Sainsbury's service yard
We expect the works to begin in early summer 2021.
Benefits of the scheme
The works will:
- upgrade existing signalling equipment
- create a signalised crossing, improving accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists
- improve safety for highway users
- enhance the pedestrian and cycle facilities in the town centre area
- allow for the control of traffic flows
- ensure compatibility with the Northern School of Art's pedestrian and cycle infrastructure programme
- support modal shift and sustainable transport growth in the area
We do not expect there to be any interruption to the highway network. Any defects to the surface of the existing footpath will be fixed as part of the work.