Accidents at home can be dangerous, particularly for older people, and the consequences of falls can be serious. You can take action now to prevent an accident or fall.
If you've attended Accident and Emergency or called an ambulance due to a fall, you may be referred to the Falls Team for an assessment. If your doctor is concerned about you having falls, you may also be referred for assessment and appropriate treatment.
The Falls Team aim to reduce falls and related injuries in people aged 65 and over. They're a multi-disciplinary team providing specialist assessment, treatment and rehabilitation to older people at risk of falls, including:
- Education and advice on falls awareness to older people in the community
- Falls and balance exercise and education classes
- Home based personalised exercise programmes
- Home hazard assessments and intervention including advice and assessment with the aim to increase independence
- Identification of osteoporosis risk and health promotion advice
You can visit the South Tees NHS website to learn more about the Falls Service.
- For more information, speak to your GP (family doctor) or an occupational therapist.
- The Staying Put Agency can offer advice and practical assistance to avoid slips, trips and falls around the home i.e. by removing trailing cables, installing extra bannister rails, etc.
You can get help from the council’s Occupational Therapy service if you need equipment such as rails or bath seats to make your home safer.
An appointment can be made to see you at home, to identify what equipment could help you to remain safe and reduce the risk of falls.
You can find out more from social services by calling 01642 065070 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure you can call for help
You can wear or carry the pendant and use it to contact the service, day or night. There's a small charge for the service but you may be entitled to help with the cost from social services.
To find out more, call Telecare/Connect on 01642 065070.
You can also call social services on 01642 065070 or email email@example.com.