Social Care and Support Icon

Avoiding accidents and falls

Accidents at home can be dangerous, particularly for older people, and the consequences of falls can be serious. You can take action now to prevent an accident or fall.

Preventing falls

If you've attended Accident and Emergency or called an ambulance due to a fall, you may be referred to the Falls Team for an assessment. If your doctor is concerned about you having falls, you may also be referred for assessment and appropriate treatment.

The Falls Team aim to reduce falls and related injuries in people aged 65 and over. They're a multi-disciplinary team providing specialist assessment, treatment and rehabilitation to older people at risk of falls, including:

  • Education and advice on falls awareness to older people in the community
  • Falls and balance exercise and education classes
  • Home based personalised exercise programmes
  • Home hazard assessments and intervention including advice and assessment with the aim to increase independence
  • Identification of osteoporosis risk and health promotion advice

You can visit the South Tees NHS website to learn more about the Falls Service.

Preventing accidents

  • For more information, speak to your GP (family doctor) or an occupational therapist.
  • The Staying Put Agency can offer advice and practical assistance to avoid slips, trips and falls around the home i.e. by removing trailing cables, installing extra bannister rails, etc.

Safety equipment

If you need equipment such as rails or bath seats to make your home safer, contact the Occupational Therapy Service by calling 01642 726004.

If you think your home is unsafe and puts you at risk of an accident, such as having loose floor coverings, you can ask the council about accident prevention grants, which will help with the cost of making it safe. For more information, contact Environmental Services by calling 0800 013 6001.

Make sure you can call for help

If you want to make sure you can call for help without having to reach the phone, you can get an alarm pendant from Telecare or the Connect service.

You can wear or carry the pendant and use it to contact the service, day or night. There's a small charge for the service but you may be entitled to help with the cost from social services.

To find out more, call Telecare/Connect on 01642 726009.

You can also call social services on 01642 726004 or email

  • Affected by flooding from Marton West Beck? Share your views at a drop-in today, Clairville Common Car Park, 1-3pm >
    14 hours 31 min ago
  • At the Dorman Musem today: view the latest exhibition d-FORMED and meet the artist, Kev Howard between 10.30am-2pm,…
    15 hours 46 min ago
  • Affected by flooding from Marton West Beck? Share your views today at a drop-in at Centre Square, 10-12 >
    16 hours 46 min ago