A programme of Local Cycling and Walking Implementation Plans have been produced for the whole region, following work with Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA). Proposals to improve Linthorpe Road for cyclists and pedestrians have been given funding from the Department for Transport and from TVCA's Transforming Cities Fund.
Phase 1 of the scheme will link Borough Road to Ayresome Street through a mix of protected space for cycling on the highway, and improved road crossings for cyclists and pedestrians.
This scheme will help to:
- improve safety
- create a more pedestrian-friendly route
- support the local economy
- improve accessibility to local retail, leisure, and services
- reduce congestion, improving air quality and the local environment
- improve the public realm
- improve public health by reducing pollution
- create an environment where people can travel actively
- show a commitment to the government's aim of significantly increasing cycling levels
You can see artist's impressions of some of the plans below.